Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Rich in Life, Book Club and Review



Rich in Years, Finding Peace and Purpose in a Long Life

by Johann Christoph Arnold

I read this book in paperback
 
My personal thoughts on this book: Often life happens and I stand frozen in place with an ache to give, to bring relief but I just do not know how.

Most recently this has been the case in regard to my mother and step father.  My mother has early onset Alzheimer's and is in a care facility because, due to her wandering, we did not know how to keep her safe.

After receiving the offer read this book in exchange for a review, I felt a tiny ray of hope.  And that hope as grown as I have read it!

The life stories, wisdom and encouragement really apply to all adulthood, but I find it all especially rich and helpful in this season of life with children still at home, a granddaughter to care for and ailing aging parents.

Most of the books and articles I was encouraged to read lacked the hope and light humor found in this book.  If you are finding yourself in the place of caring for aging parents, or facing the fact that you are an aging parent, I highly recommend Rich in Years.  I believe you will find encouragement, help and hope in it's pages.

Here is a link where you can find/purchase this book: Rich in Years

A favorite quote from the book: "The best way to deal with the mess we may have made of our lives, or the difficult burdens we may carry, is to accept God's grace as we face the future."

Rich in Years was provided to me by Handlebar Central in exchange for my honest review.
Linking with The Simple Woman's Book Club


4 comments:

  1. Found you on SWBC, I'll have to write down the name of this and put it on my list. Great quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Valerie Neal. That quote is so great for all of life, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great book. I spent the last 2 years of my parents' lives caring for them. I read an article once that referred to people like us as the "sandwich generation," specifically, we're the bologna in the sandwich stuck between ailing parents and children still being raised at home. It is a divine privilege to care for our parents, but it is also deeply sorrowful at times. I hope you post on future SWBC posts so that I am reminded to pray for you each month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendra, thank you! Your comment has encouraged me and, well encouraged me. I have heard the "sandwich generation" label before, but hadn't thought about being the "bologna". That made me laugh. Can I stick with being the sharp cheddar cheese & mustard?

      Delete

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.