Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Big Year for Lily, Book 3 of the Lily Lapp Series


Lily Lapp's family has settled into their new home in Pennsylvania, but life still holds big changes and big steps for Lily. Good changes, like once again living close to her beloved cousin and best friend, Hannah. Bad changes, like a mean girl who plays tricks on her. And no change at all where Lily would most want one--Aaron Yoder sits near her in school and relentlessly teases her. Surprises are in store for Lily as she learns, with Mama and Papa's help, to manage the ups and downs of growing up Amish.

What a fun story this is!  When the book arrived and I took it out of the packaging I had to hide it from my kids so I could read it first.  The cover totally caught the eyes of my daughters. 

A Big Year for Lily was a quick read and soon I handed it to my 10 year old daughter.  She read it and asked me to see if our local library has Books 1 and 2 of the series.  The library does have the Lily series and Chica has been enjoying reading the books "in order".

While my children are pretty unfamiliar with Amish life, there were plenty of things in the thoughts of a 10 year old girl that created connections between my daughter and the main character.  It has been good to share this book with Chica and to also explore another culture through the story. 

Here are some thoughts from Chica.

"This was a really good book.  I understood how Lily felt very well.  I feel like I am a friend to Lily and like I know her.  I understood how Lily felt when she got into trouble.  Both of us get into trouble without trying to." 

The kind of trouble Chica finds herself in is usually a result of her curiosity and exuberance, not naughtiness, much like Lily.  She really is a good kid!



We received this book, A Big Year for Lily from Litfuse Publicity Group, in exchange for our opinion.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.