Saturday, June 1, 2013

This Week ~ May 26-June 1





  • In my life this week…A lot of thinking and research has been done.  This afternoon I meet with a friend who has been using for years the materials I am considering for next year. 

  • My children have worked on their "meaningful work" projects pretty well.  The vegetable garden is planted, but still needs quite a bit weeding.  Pretty flowers were planted in hanging baskets for the front porch and I have been enjoying their sweet scent.

      Strawberry plants are on the way and we will need to finish prepping that garden bed this weekend.

  • In our homeschool this week…We are enjoying the excitement of finishing this year's schooling, one subject at a time.  One child has work until June 7th, the other two until June 14.  Physical Science was completed on Wednesday, with 1 high school credit granted from this 8th grade year! 

  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…If your 10 year old wants to revisit and discover some picture books, savor that sweet time on the sofa!  This week we read Warm as Wool and Duchess Bakes a Cake and had a great time.

  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…June 1 is the Walk for Life in our area.  We will be meeting up with many people from our congregation as well as other friends.  Our 12 year old daughter is running in the 5K while the rest of us do the 2 mile walk.  If you are interested in supporting LIFE, you can help us reach our goal here.  Earlier in the month I shared why Life Network is supported by our family.

  • My favorite thing this week was…Reading with Chica, how I miss those "rowing" days.  She and I talked about how in just 3 years JoyNess will be "3" and Chica will be 13.  Maybe Chica will "row" with JoyNess then!

  • Things I’m working on…My grand niece's cousin quilt will, hopefully, be tied tonight during a movie.  JoyNess's crib quilt just needs the binding tacked.  And Chica needs some sleep shorts so I dug out a couple of patterns and pulled out a couple stashed fabrics.

  • I’m cooking…actually I'm not!  As part of our meaningful work summer, tonight is Petal Rose's turn to cook.  She has taco potatoes on the menu.  The recipe is from this book.

  • I’m grateful for…how Builder continues to seek to be connected to us each day, despite the many miles between us.  He sent us these pictures during the week. 


    This is a Great Horned Owl nest in this tree.
  • I’m praying for…wisdom and trust today.  Yesterday there was another attempted abduction of a girl in our ciy.  It prompted another talk with my daughters today about the reality of evil even in our neighborhood and how each time I say "yes" or "no" it is after prayerful consideration of safety parameters.  The balance of granting freedom to my growing children and allowing them the opportunity to practice safety and discernment has me on my knees.

  • I enjoyed a fun time with my kids this week by…watching a new movie with a big bowl of popcorn.

  • Something I am ogling or have my eye on…Beyond the Book Report
  • A  quote to share (silly, serious or both!)… 

  • “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” Frederick Douglass


    Read more here.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Welcome! So glad you stopped by.