Monday, May 27, 2013

Sustained, Another Gift

 
 

Last month I read the book In the Presence of my Enemies by Gracia Burnham and Dean Merrill.  This book spoke so deeply to some of my unspoken fears, and answered an unspoken question about my childhood.

Gracia and Martin Burnham were hostages of the Abu Sayyaf. 

I was held hostage to the effects of long term abuse (physical, emotional and sexual) throughout my childhood. 

The following quote from In the Presence of My Enemies holds an answer to one of my questions;

He (GOD) had neither inspired the Abu Sayyaf to abduct us nor would he force them against their will to release us. Instead, he would sustain us day by day, night by night, mile by mile, for as long as it took
The further along the road of life that I get, the more that I can see this is true, God sustains day by day, night by night, for as long as it takes.  Looking back on those years of abuse I am amazed that God has not let me be consumed by the evil, but in the midst of the evil He sustained me until the day of my healing and release from the chains of that bondage.

The following verse from Deuteronomy doesn't speak specifically to this subject matter, yet it does.  Despite the circumstances, as I look back, He has been with me.

 
“For the Lord your God has blessed you in all the work of your hand. He knows your trudging through this great wilderness. These forty years the Lord your God has been with you; you have lacked nothing.”’ Deuteronomy 2:7

and on my 2013 gratitude list this word


142.  Sustained



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.