Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Reading in April

Wow, it's been a great month for finding opportunities to settle down with a good book, or just grabbing a few minutes here and there!  Here are the books that passed the month of April with me.

Because He Loves Me by Elyse Fitzpatrick ~ This book was read and discussed by an online community.  You can access some of my thoughts on this book here.  It was a great book to read and study.  I didn't write about the last couple of chapters because I am still processing them and seeking how to apply the material to my own life.

The Mine by Henry McIntosh ~ my step father gave me several chapters of the book he has written and is seeking to be published.  This is the story of miners in the Canyon City area of Colorado.

Freefall to Fly by Rebekah Lyons ~ There is a greater story than the one about you or me, and it is found in our stories !  My review of this book is here

Sweet Sanctuary by Kim Vogel Sawyer

In the Presence of My Enemies ~ by Gracia Burnham and Dean Merrill ~ Despite the terrible circumstances of being held as a hostage and the loss of her husband during the rescue, Gracia has become more than a "survivor".  Loving our enemies and living forgiveness tough commands of our God.

This book is giving me much to think about and pray about.  I am so blessed to read Gracia and Martin's story, my faith has been encouraged a great deal.  To read how God indeed sustained them and refined them during their captivity, how Scripture they had memorized came to mind and directed their steps and attitudes is a tremendous testimony to us Believers.  God will sustain us, His Word will accomplish much within us, and He is our strength, our comfort.

Tales of the Defended Ones by Beth Guckenberger.  You can read the thoughts I had after reading this book with my children here.

Only the Mountains do not Move by Jan Reynolds ~ A Maasai Story of Culture and Conservation.  This book discusses the traditional lives of the Maasai people, of Kenya and Tanzania.  The photographs are wonderful and I appreciate being able to "see" the world that may be known by our sponsor kids in both countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.