Monday, April 8, 2013

Freefall to Fly...The Journey to a Life of Meaning

My story is not about me.

The things that have happened, the questions that I ask.

The answers received.

All tell a greater story than a story about me.

These words are my respone to Freefall to Fly, A breathtaking journey toward a life of meaning by Rebekah Lyons.

At the beginning of reading this story, I found myself distracted by the author’s style of writing.  It too closely resembles my own tangled mess of memories and thoughts.  I even told my husband, at one point, that this book was frustrating me.  But in telling him the point of my frustration, a breathtaking realization came over me.  While Rebekah Lyons peppered the pages of the story with “I”, telling her story, my heart hungered to know “where is God in this?” And then a breakthrough in my own struggle to “tell my story” appeared.

MY STORY is NOT about me. The story I’m being prompted to tell is the story of God’s redemption, of the beauty He makes of the ashes. This realization may not be what the author was aiming to reveal. But this is what telling our story does. When we tell our stories, and point up to the AUTHOR of them, doors of understanding are unlocked. Blinders fall off, deafness gives way to hearing.

After thinking through all of this, I was able to sit back and glean further from the pages. Opening every chapter are quotes from various people. Within chapter three I found a quote familiar to me. I first heard something like it in a movie a few years back and had not been able to find it to add to my commonplace book.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, nor our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?".   Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world…We were born to make manifest they glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."
~ a quote by Marianne Williamson found in chapter 3
.
Thank you Rebekah Lyons for pushing through the fear to make manifest the glory of God revealed in your story, your life.  By letting the Light shine, permission has been granted to others to do the same.

Survivors make the most beautiful people ~ indeed.

This book was provided to me by Handlebar Publishing in exchange for an honest review.  All of the opinions and thoughts here in response to this book are my own.

1 comment:

  1. wow, beautifully written review. Like you, I read this book and found it very moving. This is a powerful memoir of what it feels like to fight anxiety—it’s not a self-help book, but a powerfully shared story. But you're right about the power of sharing our stories! They are not just about us, but about God's work.
    But here’s the thing—even if you don’t suffer from clinical depression, most of us question our purpose, wonder about life’s meaning. This book addresses the questions each of us asks, deep in our souls. Rebekah is breathtakingly honest about her panic attacks, her questions, and the answers she eventually finds.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.