Saturday, March 30, 2013

Walk in Love

Because He Loves Me Book Study</


Chapter 9, Walk in Love

Ephesians 5 tells us, “Be imitators of God.”
 How would one imitate God, look like God?  What is the defining characteristic of God that would identify one as an imitator of God? 

Reading on in Ephesians 5 there is the answer, “And walk in Love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us.”

Love is the identifying characteristic.  Could this then be true then, that an absence of love is at the root of every sin that I commit?

Elyse says this in chapter 9 of Because He Loves Me   “Every sin we commit, either by omission or commission, is a failure to love as we have been loved.”
and this
“Covetousness is the belief that one hasn’t been fully loved in Christ”

These are words I have pondered for the past week. 
Unbelief that I have been fully loved produces covetousness. A failure to love as I have been loved means my love has been misdirected.   My love has been focused wrongly, and my affections are given to an idol, leaving me empty, short tempered, self abosorbed.

What does it take to put on the love that identifies one as an imitator of God?  Consistently I have found an answer in God’s Word.

Give thanks.

Romans 1:21 ~…although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as Go, nor were thankful

Giving thanks always for all things to God…Ephesians 5:20

Ephesians 5:4 ...but rather giving of thanks.

Colossians 1:12  … giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.


1 Timothy 2:1  Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men,


Hebrews 13:15 Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name.


To my current understanding, recognizing the love of God produces gratitude, which then enables a person to walk in love, becoming an imitator of God. 


Has anyone else noticed a constant theme of gratitude coming up in their life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.