Friday, March 8, 2013

Because He Loves Me, Chapter 6





Because He Loves Me Book Study


"Faith is the gaze of the soul upon a saving God...Faith is the least self-regarding of the virtues.  It is by its very nature scarcely conscious of its own existence....faith is occupied with the Object upon which it rests and pay no attention to itself at all." Elise Fitzgerald

Reading this chapter illuminated the bronze snake in the Exodus desert brilliantly for me.  As I continue to ponder the significance of looking at the bronze snake for the Israelites in the desert, and the above quote, I'm left knowing my faith is indeed very weak.  All one has to do is to look to Christ, simply believing that He Is.  This is where faith begins.


Here is where GRACE enters in my understanding.  I can't pull myself up by my bootstraps (not that I am wearing boots).  My faith is truly as small, or smaller than a mustard seed.  But Christ is the author and perfecter of my faith.  He is the author, the giver, of faith.  And He promises to perfect it. 

fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2

This book study is fantastic.  As a self loathing sinner, so often in the past I have found Biblical teaching a reason to increase that unrighteous self abuse.  But as is continually happening these days, true Biblical teaching is soaked in the knowledge that it is by grace we have been saved, through faith.  GRACE.  FAITH.

Fix our eyes on Jesus.

Through Christ, For Christ, By Christ. 
 

4 comments:

  1. See?...it worked! Here I am : ) I even had to go into Internet Explorer to leave this comment - consider yourself loved!

    I have not heard of this book, but it looks good and interesting. Are there questions at the end of each chapter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, yes, I feel loved :) Thank you.

      And yes, the book has questions at the end of the chapters, and sometimes within the chapters. This book is just part of the thread the Lord has me working through at this time.

      Delete
  2. These are great thoughts on faith. While I was here I poked around a bit and found your post on waiting. I had never heard the song before, but the song as well as your thoughts are just exactly what I needed this evening. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendra, thank you for telling me. It is my prayer that words on this blog bring encouragement to others.

      Delete

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.