Thursday, October 4, 2012

Tangled Ashes ~ A Fiction Review

When Marshall Becker arrives in Lamorlaye, France, to begin the massive renovation of a Renaissance-era castle, he unearths a dark World War II history few in the village remember. The project that was meant to provide an escape for Becker instead becomes a gripping glimpse into the human drama that unfolded during the Nazi occupation and seems to live on in midnight disturbances and bizarre acts of vandalism.
~ from amazon
 
 While I am not one to choose modern fiction very often, I do enjoy reading it occasionally, to see what is out there.  This book started out with conflict between two business partners.  The reading was difficult becuase of the extreme harshness of the main character.  As the story continued I noticed that the author, Michele Phoenix, is able to allow us to see and hear the characters quite effectively.
 
There is an element of historical fiction woven into the story that is difficult to follow and when the past and current unite at the end of the story, I found it to be slightly ackward. 
 
The historical content of this story was not something I had ever heard of in my study of World War II.
 
All in all this story was a quick read, and I have a little more knowledge of the terrible acts that took place during World War II. 
 
This book was given to me by Handlebar Cental in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.