Sunday, July 22, 2012

Passages by Brian Hardin, A Review

"Many Christians feel guilty when they think of reading the Bible. Though they want to love reading Scripture, they rarely have time for more than a few verses on the run. But the Bible is not meant to be a burden. It is the story of God's passionate love for His children. It is also not a book of mystical incantations. It is a best friend offering counsel and companionship. And it is not a distant relic, but something very near. Near enough, in fact, to be every reader's story. So how do Christians delight in this story rather than see it as a source of failure? The founder of the immensely popular Daily Audio Bible, Brian Hardin shows readers how reading through the Bible in a year will change their life and the lives of others. Passages shows readers how to read the Bible and offers practical ideas for immersing themselves in God's life-giving words. Here readers will discover that reading the Bible can be a breathtaking adventure."  amazon.com

Passages by Brian Harden was sent to me for review a couple of months ago.  This book has spoke to me like a kind friend, encouraging me forward in the place where I currently am.  For the entire summer I have enjoyed long, quiet, early mornings, loving my time in God's word, and seeking to put it first, learning to read it more completely, rather than in the verse here, verse that can be the norm when life gets too busy.

""I was busy...but few of the activities had any eternal value, nor were they anything I was truly passionate about."

This quote really stuck out to me.  Read the Bible to find my passion?  Read the Bible to be prepared for what life deals today, this week, this year?

Author Brian Harden presents a strong appeal to the reader to set aside the time and to take in the Living Word in large generous servings.  To spend time and read it like, like it is God's Word written just for me, you, us.  What a gift, truly.

Passages is a good book to be on the shelves of  a Christian family, a book to spur them on when the seasons of disconnect from God's Word happen.

This book was given to me by Litfuse Publicity Group, in exchange for my honest opinion.  I fear that I haven't done a good job.  This book has been a long drawn out read yet to be completed.  During the busiest summer we've ever had, I did choose to spend those precious reading moments at my quiet table with the Best Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.