Thursday, June 7, 2012

Fit to Serve ~ Without the Stress


Fit to Serve.  That is the theme I found while reading Daniel over the past couple of weeks.  Here are a few examples from my journal:

* Chapter 2:14 Daniel replied with discretion and discernment."  Discretion and discernment are qualities to learn, practice and teach my daughters.

* Chapter 3:18 Even if God does not deliver me from trials, danger...  Stay steadfast and faithful to God, cultivate that now, to develop strength for the harder days to come

*Chapter 3:28 Blessed by the God of Shadrack, Meshach and Abed-nego...yielded up their bodies so as not to serve or worship any god except their own God
    What is it that I need to do in yielding up my own body?  Romans 12:1 tells us Therefore I urge you, brethern by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual act of worship. 

*Chapter 11:32, 35 In response to the evil one to come, people who know their God will display strength and take actions.  Some will fall in order to refine, purge and make them pure until the end time.

As I read through the book of Daniel this is the theme which took form in my mind...to cultivate a spiritual and physical fitness by cultivating discretion, discernment, wisdom, to be able to face trials & danger, to display strength and take action, to present my body, a living and holy, acceptable sacrifice as an act of worship.

These words fit well into a book I was reading called "What is a Healthy Church Member."  Recently our pastor taught a series on the book "What is a Healthy Church?  9 Marks of a Healthy Church" and he offered the "healthy church member" to the people of the congregation.

In this book, there are "10 marks" of a healthy christian, church member, described.  This of course tied right into my thoughts coming from the book of Daniel.  The 10 marks taught in this book are:

Mark 1 A Healthy Church Member is an Expositional Listener
Mark 2   ...is a Biblical Theologian
Mark 3   ...is Gospel Saturated
Mark 4   ...is Genuinely Converted
Mark 5   ...is a Biblical Evangelist
Mark 6   ...is a Committed Member
Mark 7   ...Seeks Discipline
Mark 8    ...Is a Growing Disciples
Mark 9   ...Is a Humble Follower
Mark 10   ...is a Prayer Warrior

And so the theme has continued, just as always.  The Holy Spirit speaks to me, leads me, and confirms what HE is saying in multiple places, ways.  So as I begin this Summer of 7, focusing each week on a different fast topic it is confirmed to me that my over riding focus this summer is on becoming FIT to SERVE. 

And in actively pursuing that fitness, I will be practicing taking pause in the moments of my days, keeping hours you might say, to keep my focus rightly on the ONE I am seeking to serve, rather than on the work.  Ushering in peace, instead of stress.



2 comments:

  1. I really like the way that you are incorporating Scripture study into your Stress (less) challenge. I might copy you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina, I've been slow to learn this, but without Scripture infusing the things I pursue, I lack foundation and fizzle out so quickly.

    I hope you do copy ;) and share with me what you discover along the way!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.