Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Field Trip Tidbits


VISION HEIRS LIVING HISTORY DAY THURSDAY, APRIL 2012

 I learned many interesting things about the Colonial/Revolutionary war era while at the Vision Heirs living history event.  Before I decorated a colonial pocket I was able to learn a little about 18th century cooking. People in the 1700s called popcorn “inside out corn” and instead of canning some foods to preserve them they dried them and remoistened them when they were ready to eat them. “Graces” is my favorite colonial game. It is played by throwing and catching a hoop with two sticks per player and was intended to make girls more graceful. I enjoyed watching the staged battle which they put on. Even though the “wounded” men were acting like they were in a lot of pain I could tell that they were greatly enjoying themselves. {3} Immediately after the battle the “wounded” men were taken to be operated on. There was a lot of fake blood and I got a little sick to my stomach. Eventually I had to sit down and breathe deeply because I thought I was going to be sick. Right before we went home we watched a drama about a man named Colonel Clark who won a battle against the British with less than two hundred men. I enjoyed the event and hope to go again in the autumn.  ~ Mae

BULLET MAKING
BY CHICA

In the 1700-1800s bullets were made of lead. Yes lead is toxic as is mercury, but only if you eat it.
The man who would heat up the led would also carefully pour the lead into the little mold. After a
while because it had cooled he popped it on to a plate. He cut off extra pieces. That`s how a led

bullet`s made. THE END




1 comment:

  1. Looks like a wonderful day! Loved reading about it. We love going to living history events. Such a fun way to learn about history!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.