Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Reading in April

As I look at this list I am amazed at the amount of reading I was able to do.  A little here, a little there can add up!  It is my hope that I can share encouragement and truth in these literary comments and reviews.  Let me know if you have read any of these books and want to share your insights!

The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
My husband and 11 year old daughter both tell me that "The Horse and His Boy" is the favorite of each of them, from The Chronicles of Narnia.  It is a wonderful story!  I am glad that my daughters have read, or are reading, these books as children, they are great food for the mind and imagination. 

Praying for Your Future Husband by Robin Jones Gunn and Tricia Goyer.  Read my full review here.

Galileo by Mitch Stokes.  Read this review here.

The Secret Holocaust Diaries by Nonna Bannister with Denise George and Carolyn Tomlin
"Never give up hope, and look for the rainbows."  These were words Nonna Lisowskaya's father shared with her as a child, to encourage her when times were tough.  Nonna had no idea of the rough times ahead, in Stalin's Russia and as Nonna boarded a train for Nazi Germany.

This book is important.  The stories of World War II, and Stalin's Russia must be told, in hopes that these horrors are not repeated.  We can learn from the past.

7 an experimental mutiny against excess by Jen Hatmaker.  A good challenging read!  Read full review here.

Finding Our Way Home by Charlene Ann Baumbich.  This was a "provided for review" book that I did not enjoy.  My full review is here.

The Beauty Book by Nancy Rue ~ a sweet truthful book full of questions and Godly answers to common questions that young teens have.  This pink book was an exciting arrival as my daughters believed it must be GREAT (the cover is pink) and I am happy to give it to them to enjoy and glean from.




Audio Books ~ My sweet husband did much of the driving for me this month, so I listening to audiobooks gave way to so much more time to read actual books.  He goes back to work in May, so my driving & listening time will increase again.

I did listen to Jesus the Only Way to God by John Piper

I listened to this book one late afternoon as I did errands.  It seems that the LORD has been speaking to me a great deal about other belief systems, world view in literature and my mind is eagerly searching for truth filled words such as these by John Piper.  Mae was with me during much of the listening and we have continued, throughout the month,discussing the message of this audio book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.