Sunday, April 22, 2012

my thoughts ~ Compassion Sunday


For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me…” Matthew 25:35

I have learned that through child sponsorship the stories are changed on both sides of the relationship.

Builder and I have been Compassion sponsors for about 16 years, but in the fall of 2010, we made it a family thing and sponsored Lesbia Herlinda and Bryan Marcello.

Now our daughters write letters, draw pictures and fold origami to slip into envelopes each month to send to Lesbia and Bryan.

  We’ve spent time learning about Guatemala, had meals of the same limited ingredients Lesbia and Bryan might be eating for dinner. 

And we pray.  This is where I hear what it means to our daughters to be a part of this ministry with us.  When you hear your children pray, you get to hear what is on their hearts.  It is powerful to hear them say, “Please let Bryan have enough to eat tonight.”  “Please help Lesbia do well in school.”  “Please protect them from the gangs.”

Personally, I have a gained greater awareness of the particular dangers each of these children face in daily life and my prayers have become more specific and urgent.  The words I write in the letters are to extend hope and to tell each of these children how precious they are to God, and to me, a mother far away.

As you can see, the benefits of sponsorship through Compassion International are not one sided.  As we seek to share God’s love in with these children through $38 a month, prayer and letters, His transforming work continues in us and we are given the opportunity to grow in grace and understanding.
Alyza

Will you consider sponsoring a child today?

Magreth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.