Thursday, April 19, 2012

Another Strong Nudge...book review



Do you feel trapped in the machine of excess?  Jen Hatmaker was.  Her friends were.  And some might say that our culture is.  Jen once considered herself unmotivated by the lure of prosperity, but upon being called “rich” by an undeniably poor child, evidence to the contrary mounted, and a social experiment turned spiritual journey was born.  7 is the true story of how Jen took seven months, identified seven areas of excess, and made seven simple choices to fight back against the modern day diseases of greed, materialism and overindulgence.

This book has been out for a while, and in the evangelical “mom” circles there has been plenty of reference to 7, an experimental mutiny against excess.  Jen Hatmaker suggests there is a tension in us, enjoying the abundance (excess) that we have been blessed with, and the reality that maybe what we’ve been given isn’t really all for “me”. 

And I wholeheartedly nodded my head in such a way I risked whiplash.  The amount of money that my dear husband made last year, the amount that went right out the door.  Makes me shake my head.  Every drop we do let fall into a bucket of compassion, mission to help end extreme poverty or the pain of the widow down the road seems small compared to my appetite for a cup of coffee, chocolate, books, entertainment…and the odds & ends that fall into my basket at Target.  There doesn’t seem to be a balance, or evidence of a right desire to love my neighbor as myself.

The overall message is one that is widely circulating as God seems to be at work waking up His American church.  We really don’t look a lot like the church of Acts, we don’t really look like our Jesus.  Jen Hatmaker writes with a humorous conversational style that is a bit like a spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down… but in her humor there is plenty of truth to think on. And another strong nudge to act.  ACT.

2 comments:

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.