Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Thin Places by Mary E DeMuth ~ A review

Thin Places, a memoir by Mary E. DeMuth

Often I put a "hold" on books from the library website that I hear about from friends and on the internet.  This book was "requested" so far back that when I picked it up, I couldn't remember requesting it, and assumed wrongly, and rightly what it was about.  One of the blogs I follow is imperfect prose, where Emily writes and has spoke volumes to me on being a mother to daughters, on how to LOVE them, how to protect them from those prowling eating disorders that steal the life of so many young people.  So the title "Thin Places" seemed to me about that.  After the first chapter I almost sent the book back to the library.  Even told my dear Builder that I was going to.  This woman, Mary E DeMuth, wrote this book for me.  I'm pretty certain of it.  Not that every single thing was the same as what I have experienced or struggle with, but boy was it close.
 
"What if you could retrace your life and discover its thin places -places where the division between this world and the eternal fades?  Thin places are snatches of holy ground, tucked into the corners of our world, where we might just catch a glimpse of eternity.  They are aha moments, the beautiful realizations."

Mary DeMuth is brutally honest in her memoir.  So very open, honest and courageous.  The weaving of this story she tells with broken, strong, fragile, beautiful imagry in her words.  These stories are terrible hard to tell, terrible hard to hear.  But they need to be told, and they need to be heard.  And she says in the chapter Amazing Life 

"If I throw all the journals out, my reputation will be safer, won't it?  No one will know the depth of my depravity.  No one will have the fodder to expose my soul to the world like a spiritual muckraker.  All true.  But they also won't see a wrestling pilgrim, following painstakingly after Jesus. No one will see the portrait of the girl who falls down, then gets up.  The grace that shines brighter on a darkened life will seem duller without my darkness.  And maybe I'll be tempted -if I throw away my journals-to stand a little taller, believing that somehow I corrected myself, that I became free by my own doing."

And she quotes 2 Corinthians 1:3,4 ~ "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."

The author has written a difficult true story, yet beautiful in the promise woven in, God sees us.  He is present, ever working on our behalf, choosing us, redeeming us.  Even when it is very dark, when we are very dark and we can't see Him, He does see us.
linking up with Jessica at LifeasMom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.