Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It's Been 8 Years! Reposting from 3 years ago...

On turning 40....

It's funny, most of us can remember back when we thought "40 is so old". I had such a different perspective the year that I looked toward "that" birthday.

When my dear friend Vickie turned 40 year before, I started to tease her a bit when she gently set me straight. Vickie told me how THANKFUL she was to have made it this far, to be alive, to be healthy, to have her family. That quickly turned my teasing to rejoicing, as I realized all too well what she was saying.

About 20 years ago Vickie fought a fierce battle with cancer. After she won that battle, she went on to marry her sweetheart and to miraculously have 2 fabulous kids.

And, she reminded me, I have much to be thankful for too. Just 8 years ago I was dying from Congestive Heart Failure and was quite spiritually sick. In May 2003, when Chica was just shy of 5 months old, I had valve replacement surgery. After the surgery, the surgeon didn't give us much hope for recovery, he felt the damage to my heart was too extensive.  He told me to go home and enjoy the time I had left with my family.

Oh what Joy! God wasn't taking me Home quite yet. Eight weeks after the surgery I received the wonderful news that my heart was healing, returning to normal size and function! April of 2008 I was released from cardiac care, but in December of this past year, tests showed new changes in my cardiac health.  What these changes mean, I don't know, but praise God, the old fear hasn't been able to take root in my life.
I have been given so much more than the physical healing and extra years, I've been given new life in Christ! During that time 8 years ago, God did some major heart surgery on me. For the work He has done in my life I am so grateful. The way he scraped so much of the ugly past out of my heart, fully healed many old wounds, softened the scars and in place of it all, put his joy and peace.  And today I have confidence that I can face whatever lies ahead, with His hand holding me and giving me every beat of my heart that HE has ordained.

Blessed be the Name of the Lord, Who gives and takes away. My heart has chosen to say, Blessed be the Name of the Lord.



1 comment:

  1. (happpy) sniff sniffs
    PRAISE THE LORD!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.