Friday, February 11, 2011

Reading Goal for 2011, January Book, Fix It and Forget It Cookbook

Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Great Slow Cooker Recipes  by Phyllis Pellman Good


I picked this book up from the library a couple of weeks ago and have enjoyed browsing through it before I turn out the light each night.  Usually, I am too tired to focus on the other book I am currently reading, Age of Opportunity, but flipping over pages of recipes and crock pot tips was a fun wind down.


While there are many  recipes with ingredients that don't fit the way our family tries to eat, I did find some basic soup  recipes that I am excited to add to my menu list.  Tonight we put a whole chicken in, "Chicken in a Pot", to cook for soup & casseroles over the next week.  One time, quite awhile back, I tried cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot and none of us enjoyed the aroma or the taste when it was finished.  So I am happy to try again, using the dried herbs recommended. 


If you like to keep your crockpot working on dinner, while you work on all else that you have to do, I recommend the Fix It and Forget It Cookbooks for some fresh ideas for your menu plan!


Over the next couple of weeks I plan to follow the instructions for Chicken Rice Soup, Bean Soup and Heart Happy Tomato Soup. 


It is fun and good for our menu planning to have these new ideas added in and this book is full of different variations for common recipes.  Crockpot meals are a real blessing to me, for on those busy mornings when lessons are hard and I am tired, it's nice to have something tasty bubbling away, ready for lunchtime or on those evenings when we have kids going in different directions, overlapping at home between for just awhile, it is great to set down my keys and serve up some warm goodness from "Pattie".


By the way, do you name your maids?


Some of my favorite maids/appliances have names...Pattie, Zoi, Millie...


Proverbs 31:15  She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens (maids).


This is my first post discussing all the lovely reads I have planned for this year.  Other books I am currently reading and looking forward to discussing are:

One Thousand Gifts: A dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp

Age of Opportunity by Paul David Tripp
Too Small to Ignore by Wes Stafford

Joining in the bookclub discussion over at Life As Mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.